Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ask a stupid question, get the obvious answer!

As mentioned in my profile, I work with individuals with developmental disabilities. Now I typically have control over my reactions, because I'm always foreseeing what an individuals next move might be. You never want to be taken off guard because you might say or do something you'll regret.

However, you can't always know what they will do or say at any given moment; thus the reason I've been hit, flashed, cursed, chased with a wheelchair, hit with a bat-mobile, and much more. So you're always on guard, and contemplating their next move in an attempt to be better prepared for anything they might say or do.

Rewardingly; I did not do a good job of foreseeing on Wednesday.


One of the young ladies that we serve was in our office. She was listening to some music on the computer with another young lady, and she was having a great time. She was singing, dancing, and really proud of herself for a reason unbeknownst to me as of yet.

As I was walking by her she looked at me and said, "I know who sings this."

I was pretty excited for her, because she was undoubtedly happy with herself for knowing. So I looked at her and said, "You do? That's great. So who sings it?"

She laughed with her entire face and said, "The people that sing it."

Typically I would not have laughed at what she said, because I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. She wasn't trying to be funny, she was answering the question truthfully. However, I was sooooo not expecting that answer. I assumed she might either get the band correct, tell me the wrong band, or even say that she forgot. So when she said the most obvious clear cut answer, I couldn't help but bust up laughing. I even had to go into the other office and tell my two co-workers. It was so funny.

It just went to show me that we all look at this world differently. I mean amazingly, she wasn't wrong. It was the simplest of answers, but sometimes that's all you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment