Thursday, June 17, 2010

Amy's Ten Steps to Teach Anything.

Many people have jobs in which they never learn from. I am not one of those people. While working with individuals with developmental disabilities, I've learned many things that I've incorporated into my own daily life. One of the simplest things that has helped me the most, was realizing that the method in which I help teach my clients new skills, actually works with anyone.
Sooooo, I incorporated it into my daughters process of learning how to use the potty. She's not yet two, and she's doing really great. I believe she will be potty trained before she turns two in July. This is what I've done so far;

1. Introduction to the change I'm seeking. I introduced a potty chair to my daughter at a very young age. At 16 months, I put a potty chair in the bathroom and had her start going to the bathroom with me. I didn't insist that she try to use it or anything, I just made it accessible to her. She then got use to it. She then would sit on it, with her clothes and diapers on. I always explained to her what I was doing, and what the benefits were. (Yes, I know that sounds silly because she was so young, but toddlers are very smart.)

2.Progression into the desired learned behavior. I started taking her diaper off, and had her sit on the potty. I didn't expect anything from her at this time, she was in control.

3. Take advantage of a presenting opportunity to teach. On Christmas Eve, (she was 17 months old) we woke up early, and she still had a dry diaper. I took her into the bathroom with me, and had her sit on the potty. Low and behold, she went pee pee in the potty.

4.We learn through fun. Make pee peeing in the potty a big deal. Which basically means, I danced, I acted stupid, I cheered for her.

5. Positive reinforcement for therapeutic behavior. Which basically means the next time she pee pee'd, I was prepared. I gave her a Hershey kiss, and she loved it. Tip: Only give her the reward if she pee pee's (even if she cries). If you reward her when she doesn't pee pee, then you are rewarding non-therapeutic behavior. You just taught her that she gets candy for doing nothing, so then you will never get pee pee in the potty.

6. Consistency. Individuals learn best with consistency and reminders. I prompted her to go to the bathroom every two hours.

7. Help them help themselves. Sure she can pee pee when I take her every two hours, but mommy will not always be there to take her every two hours, and not everyone will be as good as mommy. So teach them a way to help themselves. My little one now grabs at her diapers and/or pull up when she wants to tell others it's time to go potty.

8. Acknowledge growth and/or accomplishment. Once she was pee pee'ing in the potty consistently, we needed another type of reward. Once I was giving her Hershey kisses in the morning before breakfast and before she brushed her teeth, I knew I needed something else. So I bought pink pull ups (which we call panties). This helped to recognize the growth she's making, and encourage her to continue. She's getting a reward for therapeutic behavior, which is called positive reinforcements. She loves it, and at times actually demands a pull up over a diaper (like when we go to sleep.)
I've also recently added another mile stone in the pee pee accomplishment process. I've started allowing her to flush the toilet once I empty her potty chair. She loves this as well. She waves bye bye to the pee pee and tissue. :)

9. Reasonable Expectations. We all get excited when someone is learning a new skill. Just remember, that they are learning the skill because they realize the skill is beneficial to them. So once she knows that she has more benefits in life by using the potty, such as swimming without lil swimmers, wearing big girl panties, sleeping at a friends house,or going to head start, she will become more independent in the skill she has learned. Until that time, let them progress at their own pace. You can't force a realization on someone. You can help them see and/or learn the benefits, but you can't make them understand it.

10. Skill Stabilization. Learning is the easy part, it's maintaining a skill that is difficult. Sometimes it's easy for the teacher to forget that. So always remember to help your little one remember the skills you've helped them to learn by doing memory checks. This could be as simple as asking, "What do we do when we have to go potty?" Then hopefully, she will grab at her diaper and/or run to the potty.


There you go, there are my ten steps to teach anything. I know many of you won't care about pee pee'ing in the potty, but these same methods can be used in every aspect of life. There is only one necessary skill required from the individual who is trying to teach the skill though:
PATIENCE!

Good Luck!

1 comment:

  1. Well done :) I can easily see how this would be applied to most if not every situation :)

    ReplyDelete