Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Five Pages From Hell

So I recently finished my first Novel. It's pretty great if I do say so myself (I have to say that, it's my novel).

The next step; learning how the entire process of publishing worked (Geez, don't get me started). After an ungodly amount of research, I thought I had it down. My query letter seemed to be working ok as far as I could tell. I had received two responses already; one was a form rejection, but the other wanted to see a proposal. So I had a 50% success rate at this point {(as far as I'm concerned anyway :) }. Go Me!

Here is where it starts to sucks. So an agent liked my query, and asked to see my first five pages. I'm thinking, "GREAT!" So I sent the pages, and not a day later she denies me. She basically told me she wasn't as impressed with the first five pages as she had hoped.

So I'm thinking, "First five pages? What? How can you tell if you like a book based on the first five pages?" So I google, "first five pages of a novel". Then to "My Daily Surprise", it turns out it's some sort of agent epidemic. Who would have thought? Apparently the consensus is, you will know everything about the book in those five pages. Also, your first line has to be a 'hook'. Hmmm, I thought the plot and the story was the hook.

So, I look at my first chapter (mind you, it's the third version of this chapter), and I come to the conclusion that my first five pages, well you know; Suck! So I revamped them, and moved one of my other lines to the very front in an attempt to create myself a great hook line (well at least insightful, you know the kind that makes you think). I don't know if it will keep the reader wanting more, but I like it. So here it goes, tell me if you like the line. (Oh, if it's super great, just remember it's Copyrighted. If it sucks, forget I said anything, haha.)

"‘You can not awaken love against its wishes; it is love that will awaken you against yours."

So there you go agents. There is my great first liner. My first five pages have been re-vamped, and I'm ready for the next request of additional materials. You know, this if my fourth version of Chapter one. What ever happened to the third times a charm? Oh well, I'm making my own saying (it's worthy of Shakespeare if I do say so myself-haha) .

"If the first five suck; you'll have no luck!"

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry! I got exactly the same response - it totally bites. On the bright side, at least your query rocks otherwise it wouldn't have got a second glance.

    Super congrats at finishing - an awesome feeling I know

    ReplyDelete